Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Fifth International Conference on ELT in China




I came to Beijing to attend the Fifth International Conference on ELT in China this Wednesday, my presentation is due tomorrow. After I arrived in Beijing, I was busying attending conference and enjoying others’ presentations. The conference did not have many presentations in CALL, however, I still saw some technological novelties, including two different smart mobile phones which can teach students English by giving different English courses. A presenter from Japan introduced his research on the smart phone invented by a Japanese company, while an American showed his made by an American company. When I attended the conference last September in Australia at QUT, several presenters introduced mobile phone learning, but they did not show the audience their products.

Another presentation attracted me was the research done by several Singapore teachers. They introduced blog to primary school students’ English learning and made great achievements. They had their students created their blogs in blogspot, the same website as what I am using in doing my teaching innovation in China. The Singapore teachers introduced some advantages by using blogspot which made me feel at ease that my choice of this website was correct. Cause it is not always accessible in China, so I once thought of changing the website of my teaching blog.

Other presenters introduced their researches in moblogging (using mobile phone to write blogs) and podcasting(using ipod to teach language), for me they are no longer anything new, but for most of the audience, they felt surprised. Some world famous scholars, including Rod Ellis attended this conference and gave speeches. Several Australian scholars attended this conference, and one of them even came from QUT, but unfortunately I did not know him.

No comments: